I wanted to create some Healthy Energy Balls since a long time and finally I made them! Energy Balls or Bites are often too calorie dense, too high in sugars, too low in protein and consist of too many ingredients for my liking. But to make these healthy treat you only need 4 ingredients and they are gluten free.
I measured 20g per ball and the dough made 70 balls. This may be too much for you, so you have to adjust the measurements for your needs.
Macros per ball: 53 calories | Fat: 1.8g | Carbs: 6.2g | Sugars: 3.5g | Protein: 3g
What you need for the Protein Balls
- Rice Protein Powder (or any Protein Powder you like)
- Cashew Nuts
- Dried Plums
- Dark Chocolate (to make the recipe dairy free/vegan/refined sugar free you have to use a suitable chocolate)
- Cinnamon (optional)
How you make the Protein Balls
- Process 130g of Cashews in small chunks (I blended them for a few seconds in my nutri bullet).
- Mix 200g of Rice Protein (or any protein of your choice) with some cinnamon or other spices and add the Cashews.
- Add 130g of dark Chocolate chunks to the Protein powder and the nuts. (I blended the chocolate chips for a few seconds in my nutri bullet).
- Blend 590g of dried Plums with some water. You want to start with very little water, blend some seconds, add a bit more water, blend again and so on until you have a paste. I like to have some chunks so I did not blend it fully through.
- Add the paste to the dry ingredients and knead it with your hands until everything is combined like a dough. Maybe you want to add a little more water.
- Now you just have to roll them into little balls. I stored them in zipper bags so I can freeze them.